-

"God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow into them."

Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

What happens when you ask God and HE answers...

July 21, 2008

 

Today I had a neat morning, just to myself.  Kobe was over at Mark & Cindy’s and (after I got on the internet :P) I decided to spend the morning in bed with my Bible.  It is so funny how, on my end of our foster parenting story at least,  my renewed commitment to the Bible has been there with me thru it all.  When I get scared, overwhelm, tired and am feeling a little hopeless I get to run to my Bible and find God there.

I didn’t even know where to start reading at first, I read a few books of the old testament and got to know God a little bit there, then, as of lately I have ended up in Psalms, finding everything I need there.

As I read thru David’s (the Psalmist David) cries to the Lord, I found myself needing to cry out too.  I ended up crying out to God asking Him to do the impossible.  I asked Him to bind my heart to a child’s heart I have never met before.  I asked Him to begin today to build a bond between us that no one could ever understand how it could be there.  I asked Him to protect that child, comfort them, help them to FEEL HIM.  I asked HIM to love on that child while I can’t.  I asked HIM to draw our hearts together far before we ever meet each other.

 

 

 

And He answered, trust me, I can feel it already.

 

 

 

 

July 22, 2008

 

Today was our first Foster Parenting class!  I can’t believe it is here and finally happening.  The class went really well, I was surprised about how many people were there.

 

The teacher was Amy Anderson and I had already met her thru Ally so that made me feel more comfortable.

 

The class kinda went like this:

 

Part One:

 

“Here are the worst things you could face as a Foster Parent”

 

Part Two:

 

“If you are here for the wrong reasons get out”

 

Part Three:

 

“Half of you will not show up next week after hearing everything I have to say”

 

Part Four:

 

“Here is how you get licensed”

 

 

The absolute BEST part of class for me was watching Ben absorb all this info and be more determined than ever that this is the right thing for us (that is how I felt as well).  With every horror story there was a part of me that would cringe, partly for kids that have gone thru those horrible things and partly because you worry you won’t be able to handle it.

 

But, after going thru the class it just solidified that we are doing what we are supposed to and it is really exciting.

 

While we were waiting in the reception area a young lady came in and sat down.  Then, another lady (older than the first) came in with 4 kids and it became apparent that lady #1 was the mom of these kids and lady #2 was their foster parent right now.  It was interesting to watch the foster mom give little bits of info about the kids to the mom.  Mom noticed one of the boys got a hair cut and the Foster Mom piped up with “I hope it’s not too short”.  The mom was having a supervised visit for what ever reasons and here we all are watching it happen in the waiting room.  Then, another lady walked in with a baby in a car seat and brought that baby over to see lady #1 as well.  It seemed that lady #1 had FIVE kids to visit with that day.

 

I am SO GLAD that visitation will be AT the agency.  So glad.

 

So, what do we have to do:

 

 

-Fill out lots of paper work

-Get physicals done

-Get finger printing done

-Get proof of income done

-make copy of our social security cards & drivers licenses

 

and a few other things I am sure I am forgetting J

 

We are going to be converting the office into a bedroom only for who ever we have placed with us so it will be fun to paint and decorate for who ever comes to stay with us~!

 

 

 

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Thanks for sharing again, Leah. We continue to pray and continue to be so excited for the child (ren) God has for your guys.

Love you...have a great weekend!

Did Kobe shop yet??!!:)

gram said...

Leah and Ben you will make awesome foster parents.