-

"God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow into them."

Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What Happens when you ask God and He answers

Ben and I have decided to take (and have registered for) Foster Home Licensing Training.  It is a 24 hour training class that we will be attending July 22nd-25th.

Our goal is to adopt thru the State of Michigan by becoming foster parents.  There were a lot of things that brought us to this decision (that we never in a million years thought we would make) and if you are interested I am going to start posting about how we came to that decision.  I have about a month and a half worth of journal entries leading up to our decision, now adding that to the past 5 years of us hoping that some day - some how we would be able to adopt here is how our story finally takes it's first step:


 

For the past couple months God had been really impressing on me that it was time for He and I to have alone time again.  I have always struggled with devotions and specific prayer time, but lately I could tell I need more time with just God.  Plus, my Mom has been after me in a sweet way to make sure I have that time with God, especially when I would talk to her about any stress in my life or just in general conversation she would bring it up.  I think God knew she was the only one I could hear that from that I wouldn't take offense to.  So, for the past few weeks I had taken up getting up and going out into our sun room and curling up with my Bible, reading a few chapters and then praying.

Well, this morning I had gone into my time with God thinking I needed some answers.   It was time to figure out what Ben and I should do about adding to our family.  We both wanted more kids and I had been leaning towards trying to get pregnant again but just never was able to do anything that would lead to that.  It scared me and Ben.  After such a hard first pregnancy we both weren't sure if that was the right thing to do.  

So, that morning after reading my Bible I got on my knees and asked God what I should do.  As a couple tears dropped from my eyes I asked God "If we are supposed to try to get pregnant, God, we would love to.  But if we are supposed to adopt we would love to do that too.  I just don't know what to do or how to know what YOU want us to do."  and then I decided to get a little bold and asked, "God if we are supposed to adopt will you have Ben bring it up and want to do it?  He never brings it up and then I would know.  I trust you.  In Jesus name, Amen."

A little less than a week after I prayed that prayer Ben and I ended up going out to dinner by our selves.  (Kobe was at Grandma Wentzel's of course :) ) Ben and I sat at the restaurant waiting for our food and we were talking about our health insurance.  Because we don't use it that much and we pay for it our selves we had let it get to where we had a really high deductible and a pregnancy and delivery would probable cost us $5000 out of pocket.  Ben had talked to the rep at his work and found out how to move things around so if I was to get pregnant around November we could switch stuff and have a much better insurance by the time I had to deliver.  I say November because I had decided we needed to figure out what we were going to do and I was going to turn 25 in November and if pregnancy was in the cards I wanted to do it sooner rather than later. 

So, there we are, running over numbers, talking about all of this and Ben blurts out "We should just adopt."  It was very off the subject we were on and I just looked at him and said, “OK”.  And that was that.  Like we both knew that was the end of the pregnancy talk and the beginning of what we were going to do.  So quickly, so out of no where, so GOD.

 It took me a couple days to tell Ben about my prayer and how God had answered it.  As we laid in Bed one night a couple days later I finally told him about my prayer.  Ben said he had noticed that I looked a little surprised after he had suggested we just adopt.  He said that he then understood why all the sudden he had become very OK with the idea of a domestic adoption.  God is so good.

 So, now it is up to God, as it always is, to show us what to do.  I have been researching and trying to make a game plan for us.  God is Faithful.

 We don’t know when, where or how, but we got our answer.

 It will be interesting to see what God has planned for us.

It is May 31, 2008 as I type this and I can think of nothing else to say but God is Good. 

To be continued...

11 comments:

Rebekah said...

God is good. I praise him for you and Ben and your decision, I praise him for bringing us together to share in our journeys, I praise him for the unborn (or born) babies that will one day be ours. Blaze the trail, chica!! Can't wait to hear more about your journey!

Vicki Aeschliman said...

Amen! YOu have to be open to let God work in your life. I am so proud of you guys. You are great parents and I can't wait to meet your new family members and be an Aunt again. I love you guys. Keep writing Leah, I love to read about your walk.

spng7 said...

Do you think maybe that God doesn't just answer prayers ... but gives us the right questions to ask, too? God bless.

Leah Wentzel said...

thanks Bekah-i so echo your sentiments right back at you. it has been neat to re-meet you - i have been blessed by it:)

thank you vicki for the support, it is so needed and appreciated!

Grandma, I think you are exactly right. I think God very much was telling me to just ASK HIM!
I love you so much!

Lindsay said...

That is really neat Leah! God is so good, it's fun to see how He shows us which direction to turn! We are praying for you guys and look forward to meeting your newest member one day!

Alyssa said...

We are so excited and happy for you guys! We serve and know an awesome God! He has a plan, and we can't wait to see it unfold!

Love you guys!

cindy said...

AMEN I LOVE CHILDREN and the MORE THE MERRIER!!!!!!!!!!! GOD is amazing and he loves us all so much, he knows your and Bens hearts desires and he wants that too. Their are so many children who need a wonderful home like you and Ben have and Kobe will be a wonderful brother!!!! YIPPEEE

gram said...

You and Ben will be awesome parents to what ever child God gives you. We will all benefit from his blessing us with another child.

Shelly Marie said...

It is a wonderful, but sometimes wild ride so hang on and trust in GOD!!! It will be well worth the wait!!! =)

Lindsey said...

How Exciting!

Michelle said...

Cool start