-

"God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow into them."

Pages

Friday, June 27, 2008

Our big summer project!

Craig's List comes thru again!  See this big pile of broken up concrete?  (aka our old sidewalk that Ben busted out all by himself with a sledge hammer) Well, once Ben broke it all out we had to figure out how to get rid of it!  My Dad & my Grandpa offered to let us dump it at their property but we still would have had to borrow one of their trucks to do it plus load it all up and unload it once we got there.  Not a fun idea.
Anyway, I saw on Craig's List people posting "Free Broken up concrete" and in all honesty I thought who is the world would want that?  What would they use it for.  Well, I started googling around to find a place I could pay to come pick it up and dispose of it or a concrete recycling center that was close to us we could take it to for free.  I came across an add on Craig's List under the want adds:  Wanted, dirt, broken up concrete, leaves, or anything non toxic to fill in holes.  I called them (by the way they never called me back) but it made me think that posting on Craig's List wouldn't hurt so I posted with this picture:

On Monday we received a few phone calls from people wanting to come get out concrete.  And one ACTUALLY showed up and took it on Monday!  We were so excited to have someone else get it who needed it PLUS saved us A LOT of hassle!  All for Free to us.  I love it.
See-concrete-gone!
Now we are on to the next phase of this project-bringing in dirt.  This is the main reason that the bushes came out (beside being UGLY) and the reason we broke the sidewalk out.  Our yard sloped IN towards the house.  Not a good idea.  That means water is flowing towards our house and can easily end up on the basement.  Eventually we plan on finishing the basement, but before we do that we need it to be water proof :)
So that is the real reason for all of this:

See the foundation of the house in this picture?  The black part.  We need that covered up and high enough to move water away from the house.
So, Thursday I had a truck load of dirt brought in.  About 11 yards of dirt.  Unfortunately I think we will need more, but we will see.  Looks like another fun weekend out in the yard!


4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I LOVE CRAIGSLIST!!! I sell anything and everything I can-someone always wants want I perceive as useless! Although your project may prove labor intensive, it will be well worth it in the end!

gram said...

Good job Leah. I would not of thought to post it on Craigs list.
Sounds like a lot of work putting the dirt around your home. I do know we did that years ago. I quess it is now for the young ones as we get lazy in our old age. ha ha

Alyssa said...

I have really missed being online lately. It was nice to catch up on your blog:). I am glad you were able to get rid of all of that! What a riot that Craigslist comes through again:).

By the way, I just read where the presents are on your blog post...thanks! We will dig those out, and be sure she opens them up, and we will get Elle hers too:).

Love you guys!

Lindsay said...

That is funny! You really can sell anything on there!