Yesterday I got a call, from our agency, asking me if we would be interested in a 1 mo. old baby baby. He is still in the hospital, he was born addicted to drugs and is being weened off them using some very strong meds. At the time of the call I was told, besides the obvious, he was healthy, was 8 lbs when he was born, was doing well eating and things like that. The worker also told me the baby has other siblings that are in care that have had their cases moved from "reunification" to "termination of parental rights". With that being said, it looks like the baby may become adoptable.
So, knowing only these facts, I said yes. We would do it. I asked when the baby was going to be released from the hospital and he didn't know yet. That was the last I heard yesterday.
Now that we have done this a few times I noticed a HUGE different in how excited I was about this. I was interested but not too invested because the likelihood of getting babies isn't really high and I just decided to not worry about it. I told Ben about it and we decided to see what happens. Last night I prayed about it quite a bit, and I later found out Ben did this morning on his way to work.
Just a few minutes ago I got a call from the worker. The baby has tested positive for Hepatitis C. That was basically what he called me to tell me. The first thing out of my mouth was, "I have other kids in my house, maybe if I didn't..." and the worker totally understood. I'm not there yet. I can't do that with Kobe here. Even if the chance is small I refuse to take it if I know about it. Someday I may get a child that has it and we don't know about it and I will leave that up to God-but I really felt like the answer had to be no. And, I was a little relieved it was.