-

"God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow into them."

Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh, the things I say yes to...

So, I got a call today from our foster care agency.  I was expecting it to be about setting up a time for S's visit with her mom this week-but it wasn't.

It was one of the social workers there, they were calling to see if we would take 2 more!  A 2 year old boy and a 1 year old girl, siblings.  They were at their mom's house for a visit and she apparently was saying the 2 year old had lots of bruises all over him (isn't that normal for a 2 yr old?) and was trying to blame it on the foster parents.  The agency was wondering if we would take the kids if they needed a place to stay tonight and I said yes.  What was I thinking?!?!

They said they would call me back and let me know, once Ben got home we both were laughing at the fact that I had said yes and to be honest I was really hoping they would not need to come to our house!  As it turns out, they did not need to come and that worked out well since I probably should have said no in the first place.  But how do you say no to 2 kids in a possibly abusive situation?  Anyway, this was a good dry run for me, I am going to practice saying NO so the next time I get called for something I am really not ready for maybe I will be able to say it!!!

7 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh, my word, Leah:)! I know what you mean though. I would have a hard time saying No too! Especially knowing I could help some hurting kids!
God will direct you to know exactly what you should do each time though. We are praying for you guys! You are doing a great job! Wish we lived closer so our girls could play together!

Love You:)

spng7 said...

We have an inflatable mattress in case you can't say "no" :) Love ya, Gram

Always Faith said...

Iknow exactly what you mean. I said yes a LOT...now I have learned to say NO a lot, too. I can't help the kids if I'm dead...and taking on more kids than one can handle is a slow and torturous death that helps no one. LOL. Just tell yourself THAT next time you're tempted to say yes to something you *SHOULD* say no to. LOL.

Of course, I am still tempted to say yes sometimes, too, but then I remember the last time I took on more than I could handle and the torture that came with it, and it's easier to be more logical about my answer and what's right for everyone. LOL.

Here's an answer that I give a lot now: "I'll say no for right now, but if you cant find anyone to keep him/her/them, call me back." And then I hang up and pray and if I get called back, I'll know that this is likely a God thing.

Vicki Aeschliman said...

I can't imagine you saying no but wow!

Lindsay said...

:) That would be hard to say no!

gram said...

Wow, It would be hard to say no, but you need to take care of your family and you which I am sure keeps you busy with Kobe and S. God took good care of you when they did not need to send the children to you.

Shelly Marie said...

WOW....It would of been hard to say no, but at same time it would of been hard to say yes!! =) God will give you a peace when it is time to say "yes" or when it is time to say "no."
He did for us!!!